Air Conditioner Repair Prices
The ≈PRICE column below shows an approximate out-the-door price for common air conditioner repairs. These ballpark prices are based on the formula found on the preceding page. Please see the notes at the bottom.
Smaller repairs can be reduced by $75 or more if I do just the bare minimum. However, I adhere to good practice by performing a checkup after the repair is made. Major repairs can be reduced by hundreds by cutting corners, but of course that’s not how I do business.
|run capacitor for smaller motors 1||$280||1.25||$10|
|run capacitor for larger motors 1||$300||1.25||$20|
|run capacitor for largest motors 1||$330||1.25||$35|
|start capacitor + potential relay 2||$360||1.25||$50|
|contactor (relay that controls AC) 3||$300||1.25||$20|
|disconnect (fuse box next to AC)||$360||1.5||$30|
|condenser fan motor + capacitor||$500||1.5||$100|
|thermostat, Honeywell 4000 series||$340||1.25||$40|
|R-22 (Freon) Fill-Up|
|4 lbs. + med. diff. leak repair 4,5,6||$1165||4.5||$155|
|8 lbs. + med. diff. leak repair 4,5,6
|R-410A (Puron) Fill-Up|
|4 lbs. + med. diff. leak repair 4,5,6||$925||4.5||$75|
|8 lbs. + med. diff. leak repair 4,5,6||$1120||5.0||$100|
|2.5 ton recip + 5 lbs. R-407C 4,6,7||$1940||5.0||$505|
|2.5 ton scroll + 5 lbs. R-410A 4,6,7||$2220||5.0||$645|
|5.0 ton scroll + 10 lbs. R-407C 4,6,7||$2760||5.5||$860|
|4.5 ton scroll + 10 lbs. R-410A 4,6,7||$2820||5.5||$895|
- I install OEM grade run capacitors exclusively. They last twice as long and cost twice as much as the replacement grade capacitors installed by most contractors.
- I install potential relay start capacitors exclusively. They cost four times more than the vastly inferior PTC relay start capacitors installed by most contractors.
- I install 40 amp contactors exclusively. They cost twice as much and last longer than the 30 amp contactors installed by most contractors.
- This type of repair normally requires two trips. I usually request separate checks for each trip. The price shown includes the cost of both trips.
- A medium difficulty leak repair, as opposed to something easy like tightening a leaking cap, usually means replacing a fitting. Replacing anything bigger costs more.
- The price shown adheres to the formula. However, given the occasionally high margin on repairs like this, I sometimes deviate from the formula by reducing the price.
- Off-the-shelf Copeland compressors are used to calculate prices. OEM compressors may cost more. Severely contaminated systems require special cleanup that also costs more.
- These ballpark prices are subject to change without notice.
- The HOURS column shows typical repair times. Repair times can vary significantly.
- The COST column shows my approximate wholesale cost of parts (including tax) at the time of writing. Part prices vary significantly depending on the supplier and season.
- Some of the universal parts listed above may not work in your air conditioner. When that happens a second trip will be required. Normal rates apply.
- If requested, and if time and weather permit, a check of the furnace may add 30 minutes to the job. Normal rates apply.
- An air conditioner that’s located on the roof, or is otherwise difficult to access, may take 15 to 30 additional minutes to service. Normal rates apply.